Thursday, September 5, 2013

Final Project: Rule of Law

After my interview with an attorney I felt much more knowledgable and comfortable about a few of the laws I have been curious about. I was glad to hear more about patents and trademarks and why each one is important. "Trademarks are important to both consumers and businesses. Consumers use trademarks to distinguish between competing products." (Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg 509)
I have just recently become more interested in patents as I have started to come up with business ideas and designs. "When two people invent the same product, who is entitled to the patent—the first to invent or the first to file an application? Until 2013, the person who invents and puts the invention into practice has priority over the first filer. But in 2013 the law changes so that the first person to file a patent application has priority. This change brings the United States into conformity with the patent systems in most of the rest of the world." (Beatty & Samuelson pg 504)

My lawyer also helped me gain knowledge about ways I could be getting "screwed over" doing certain gigs for modeling. He explained that some companies are getting away with things (using my pictures without permission, not sticking to contracts) because I am being too lenient. After speaking to James Smedly I learned that I need to stand up for myself when a modeling agency or photographer thinks they can take advantage of me. Good thing from now on I will not be ignorant about the law. Many people may seem trust worhty, when really that are not. "Ethical decision making generates a range of benefits for employees, companies, and society. Although ethical business practices are not required, the remainder of this chapter makes the case that they are sound."Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg 18)

Although the lawyer I interviewed didn't have a specific answer to every single one of my questions, he always had a pretty good answer or at least some good information of where I might find my answer. He told me that there are certain exceptions to some laws, but it is typically unethical to try to get around certain parts of the law, depending what it is. "
  "Ethics lies largely beyond the realm of law"
Beatty, Jeffrey F.,  Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg 17)

No comments:

Post a Comment