Thursday, September 5, 2013

Final Project: The Questions

Student Name: Haley Herdman
Class BUS250H Contracts, Negotiations and Copyrights
Judge or Lawyer’s Name: James Smedly
District or Firm’s Name: Law Offices of James J. Smedley, Esq.


1. I plan on opening my own luxury boutique in the future. To increase the luxurious experience of the place I'd like to serve Champagne to clients and guests. I've considered a bar with a bar tender, or maybe an exclusive room, etc. I know that many luxury retailers in Las Vegas (Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, etc.) are able to bend the rules and serve alcohol at events or for VIPs. However, I also know the law will make this idea nearly impossible. Do you have any information regarding the laws behind alcohol licenses for a situation like mine?


2. I see many clothing companies use quotes or logos from other brands. For instance: coca cola, mountain dew, Disney movies, Dr.Suess books, and many more. How can brands get away with using logos and pictures that aren't their own?


3. As a model working under an agency, it is very important to have a contract to ensure that both parties hold up their end of the deal. What should be done in a situation where the agency doesn't pay the model? Especially if the expected amount of payment is under $500.


4. If I model in an unpaid photo shoot for a business, and they use my pictures in their advertising without my documented consent, could I sue the company for my share of the profit they are making by using my photos?


5. On average, how much does it cost to patent an idea?


6. How are music artists aloud to make covers of songs that aren't their own song?


7. What's the difference between a trademark and patent?


8. Merchandise for my boutique is being sent by the manufacturer and is lost or damaged in the process. Who is responsible? If my shipment was uninsured, will I have any chance of being reimbursed for the mistake?


9. To what extent am I aloud to alter and change a contract?


10. From a lawyer standpoint, do you have any advice for me starting my own business?


Each of these questions apply to me in some way shape or form. Because I am not quite sure what career I want, I asked different questions based on all the different things I might choose to do in the future. I asked about laws for owning a business because I might choose to open my own boutique one day. I asked questions regarding modeling since I currently do many modeling gigs at this time in my life. I asked about trademarks and patents just in case I ever come up with a great idea or invention that I want to patent. I asked about retail laws because I've considered starting my own clothing line. Finally, I asked about music covers because I have also considered taking a completely different route and entering the music industry. I was curious about music covers because I hear many artists recording songs that have been done originally by artists in the past. If I ever did create a song cover, I would want to be sure I wouldn't get in any legal trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment