Thursday, September 5, 2013

Final Project: Legal Authority

"We depend upon the law to give us a stable nation and economy, a fair society, a safe place to live and work. But while law is a vital tool for crafting the society we want, there are no easy answers about how to create it. In a democracy, we all participate in the crafting. Legal rules control us, yet we create them. A working knowledge of the law can help build a successful career—and a solid democracy."(Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg 11-12)
 To avoid catching him off guard,  I had my boyfriend first contact Mr. Smedly since the two of them are acquaintances. He told the man about my project and Mr. Smedly was more than happy to "take my case." He explained that he may not be an expert in all of my questions but that he will do his best. I reassured him that any information he may have is helpful. "Law is powerful, essential, and fascinating."(Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg. 3)


James was a good choice of an attorney for my project because I knew he would be honest. I wanted someone who is answer me simply and truthfully and if they didn't know the answer, to just tell me. I was looking to talk to someone who would be honest and straight forward about the laws we discuessed. "We may not always like the way our legal system works, but we depend on it to keep our society functioning." (Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg. 4)


James Smedly didn't seem like he was the negatively shady type of person that most lawyers are. It seems that the law is there to keep people in line and staying moral/ethical. Then why are most lawyers unethical and selfish? It doesn't make sense to me."Law is different from morality, yet the two are obviously linked. There are many instances when the law duplicates what all of us would regard as a moral position." (Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg. 7)










No comments:

Post a Comment