Thursday, September 5, 2013

Final Project: My Opinions




This may sound silly, but the more I've thought about it, I wish I would have talked to a female lawyer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed hearing Brian's views and opinions, and I was lucky that I didn't have to call around office to office looking for a lawyer to interview. However, I wonder if a female lawyer would have had better answers for me since she might have a greater respect for fashion. It's makes sense right? Or maybe it would have even been better to speak with someone who works with retailers. Either way, I still learned from Mr. Smedley. In learned about: 
1.contracts "Contract: a promise that the law will enforce." (Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg 144), 2.alcohol licenses "People who serve alcohol to others take a risk."(Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, Pg 106),
3.trademarks "Consumers use trademarks to distinguish between competing products." (Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, pg 509)
4.Patents "Business method patents have been particularly common in e-commerce."
(Beatty, Jeffrey F., Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, 502)



Mr. Smedley also gave me some pretty good information about starting my own business. I agreed with James on everything he said. I would probably have to know as much about law as he does in order to form more of an opinion. I liked what he had to say and feel that I learned from him.

As far as laws go, there are always going to be laws that I disagree with. Sometimes certain laws just don't make sense to me. For example: A person is aloud to drive, vote, go to war, and move out of home all by the age of eighteen, but aren't considered old enough or responsible enough to drink. That ;aw has never quite made sense. Just the same, there are a number of laws I am glad exist: like patents, contracts, drinking and driving, texting and driving, the list goes on. 

I enjoyed this project because it was the first and probably only time I will actual interview a lawyer one on one, or at least have a good excuse to. I enjoyed learning from James and picking his brain about his knowledge of the law. He helped me understand why some laws are the way that they are, whether I agree with them or not. "Law is intriguing." (Beatty, Jeffrey F.,  Susan S. Samuelson. Cengage Advantage Books: Introduction to Business Law, 4th Edition. Cengage Learning, pg 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment